Report of Birth of A Filipino Abroad

Please take note that the consular officer may require additional documents upon assessment of the application, depending on the circumstances of the applicant’s birth, marriage or death. Factors such as citizenship, previous civil status and others may affect the status of your application. Please leave your contact details so that the consular officer or consular assistant can reach you immediately. Please email for queries regarding your application.

Reporting Births of Children of Filipino Citizens

The Report of Birth is a declaration of the person furnishing information on the birth abroad of a Filipino child. It is important for Filipinos permanently residing abroad to promptly register with the Consulate the birth of a child in order for such a birth to be registered with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.

When a child is born abroad to parents who are both Filipino citizens or to one (1) parent who is a Filipino citizen, i.e. one who has not been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country, the child’s birth must be immediately reported to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of birth.

ONLY births that happened in the following places can be registered or reported at the Philippine Consulate General, Los Angeles, CA: (1) Southern California; (2) Southern Nevada (Clark, Lincoln and Nye Counties) and (3) Arizona;

For those reporting the birth of a Filipino within the US but outside this Consulate’s jurisdiction please check here.

To know the location and contact details of Philippine Embassies or Consulates, please check here .

Ideally, the birth must be reported to the Consulate within twelve (12) months after its occurrence. When the parents neglect to report the birth within twelve (12) months, the birth may nevertheless be recorded upon the determination of the consular officer of satisfactory evidence on the authenticity of the report. In these cases, the person who executed the report shall furnish the Consulate with an explanation surrounding the delay in reporting the birth.

Procedure and Requirements

Send by mail to the Consulate the following documents:

1. Four (4) original duly accomplished Report of Birth Forms (either type written or legibly handwritten) by any of the following (click here for the fillable form):

  1. attending physician;
  2. attending nurse or midwife;
  3. Filipino parent or Filipino parents;
  4. the person whose birth is being reported if over 18 years of age; or
  5. the foreign parent only if none of the above can accomplish the report.

All four (4) Report of Birth Forms must be completed before a notary public, who in turn will notarize the Report of Birth forms.  Click here for a sample of a filled up form

2. Original and four (4) photocopies of the child’s Certificate of Birth issued by local health authorities or by the Local County Registrar

3. Original and four (4) photocopies of the data page of the Philippine passport(s) of Filipino parent(s).

4. In case the Filipino parent became a naturalized citizen of another country after the time of child’s birth but before reporting it to the Consulate, present also Original and four (4) photocopies of the naturalization certificate and proof of Philippine citizenship (example: Philippine passport or Birth Certificate issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority. click here to apply for PSA Birth Certificate )

5.  Original and four (4) photocopies of the data page of the foreign passport or foreign driver’s license of foreign parent.

6. Original and four (4) photocopies of the father’s birth certificate. If the father is Filipino, the birth certificate must be issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA, formerly NSO) click here to apply for PSA Birth Certificate

7. Original and four (4) photocopies of the birth certificate of the mother. If the mother is Filipino, the birth certificate must be issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA, formerly NSO) click here to apply for PSA Birth Certificate

8. Original  and four (4) photocopies of the marriage certificate of parents, if applicable. If the parents were married in the Philippines or had their foreign marriage reported with a Philippine Consulate over a year from reporting child’s birth, the marriage certificate must be issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA, formerly NSO) click here to apply for PSA Marriage Certificate

9. The fee for this service is $25.00 in cash, postal money order or cashier’s check payable to the Philippine Consulate General.

10. United States Postal Service (USPS) Priority Mail/Priority Mail Express Envelope. The USPS Priority Mail Envelope has to be self-addressed, postage prepaid and with USPS Tracking. To compute the amount of postage for a USPS Flat Rate Envelope, check here. The Consulate assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage through the mail or courier service.

Additional Requirements:
a.  If the birth was reported more than 12 months after its occurrence, the person executing the report must provide a Notarized Affidavit of Delayed Registration  explaining the circumstances surrounding the delay and attach 4 copies.
b. If parents are not married and child is to bear the father’s name, the father must execute a Notarized Affidavit of Paternity and Use of Father’s Surname.  or Affidavit to use the Surname of the Father  , otherwise father can execute an Affidavit of Acknowledgment of Paternity
c. If parents were not married at the time of birth of the child and eventually married thereafter, a Notarized  Joint Affidavit of Legitimation must be included in the application. 

When you receive the Report of Birth copy from the Consulate, the person whose birth was reported can also apply for a Philippine Passport as a first -time applicant by personal appearance at the Consulate