Philippine Visa Requirements for Foreign Nationals

[responsivevoice_button voice=”US English Female” buttontext=”Listen to this Post”]

A. Types of Philippine Visas And their Requirements [click here]

B. Foreign Nationals Exempt from Philippine Visa Requirements

Nationals of countries which have diplomatic relations with the Philippines are generally allowed entry into the country without securing a temporary visitor’s visa from the Consulate if their stay does not exceed thirty (30) days. Visitors availing of this no-visa privilege must enter the Philippine for tourism purpose and must hold a round-trip or onward travel airline ticket, which must be presented before Philippine immigration authorities upon arrival at the port of entry in the Philippines.

U.S. passport holders are covered under this rule. If the intended stay in the Philippines is beyond 30 days, an application for a temporary visa must be filed at the Consulate.

There are nationals of other countries who are classified as Restricted Nationals by the Philippine Government. These Restricted Nationals are not entitled to the 30-day no-visa privilege and must apply for a temporary visa. Contact the Visa Section at (213) 639-0980 ext. 221 to inquire whether your country of nationality falls under this category.

Check here if your passport will require a visa for entry to the Philippines.


Returning balikbayan may enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for a period one (1) year for tourism purposes. Under the Balikbayan Program (Republic Act 6768) of the Philippine government, the term balikbayan includes:

A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the country for a period of at least one (1) year from date of last departure;

A Filipino overseas worker;

A former Filipino citizen and his family members as this term is defined hereunder, who has been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines provided that the former Filipino citizen can show proof that his or her former Philippine citizenship (e.g. old/cancelled Philippine passport, Birth Certificate, or naturalization papers) upon arrival in the Philippines.

Foreigner spouses and children travelling with the former Filipino citizens may avail of this privilege by presenting before immigration officials legal documents establishing relationship with the former Filipino citizen upon arrival in the Philippines. These documents could either be a Marriage Certificate (for spouses) or Birth Certificate (for children). This privilege can only be availed of by family members/relatives if they are traveling to the Philippines together with the balikbayan (former Filipino).

(The term “family” shall mean the spouse and the children of the balikbayan who are not balikbayans in their own right travelling with the latter to the Philippines).